Monday, March 1, 2010

My old school

Yesterday afternoon I took a peek in at my old school.
Lorne School was built in 1879 and the original old grey brick building was classified by the National Trust in 1979.
Lorne Higher Elementary School as it was known then was, and still is a school that caters for students from Prep through to Year 12.It is now a lovely modern school with sunny classrooms and shady outdoor areas.When I attended it only went to year 10 and you had to travel to Geelong on the school bus to finish through to year 12.

In the photo above the old original grey brick building was my grades one and two class room.
The orange extension on the left was my grade 3 classroom.I think these old buildings are now the admin areas.
 
The bell in the belltower was still in use when my two boys attended the school in the 70's and 80's

  
My son and grandson standing outside my old grade three classroom.(My grandson is in grade three this year!,but not at Lorne school)
  
National Trust Plaque on the wall of the origional School building.


The grey stone bricks were quarried from the banks of the Erskine River in Lorne and The Grand Pacific Hotel was also built from the same brick blocks.
My husband was also a teacher at the school for many years,he even taught our two boys!!
This classroom was where it all started for me way back in 1958 when I was 5yrs old.My grade Prep classroom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dont think you ever told me that was your 'room'